The Luxury Standard in Watchung, NJ
The Watchung Castle
One of the town’s most amazing custom homes, known as “The Watchung Castle” is on the market and we have the privilege of representing it. Built in 2003, this exquisitely designed custom home rests on 5.4 acres of gorgeous property. Nothing has been overlooked, as architectural details and highest quality finishes are on display at every turn.
Contact Caroline Gosselin (973) 985-6117 or Gavin Parker (917) 403-1848 for a private showing.
Inviting you in to explore, granite stone pillars flank the private entry gate. This is a fitting start to the exceptional lifestyle that awaits. The stone walkway, across the sweeping front lawns, leads you to a 3” thick custom front door made of solid Walnut.
Once inside, you are immediately immersed in the magnificent foyer with grand butterfly staircase. Broad archways reveal generous rooms designed for high style entertaining and casual daily living. These are highlighted with custom Mahogany and Walnut wood, limestone, marble, soapstone and Brazilian Epay hardwood floors. There are a total of three handcrafted fireplaces throughout the home, which bring their own unique statement to each room.
The sophisticated dining room offers coffered ceilings, a custom Walnut built-in and a wall of windows overlooking the front lawn.
The designer kitchen features custom maple cabinets, honed Calcutta Gold Soprano marble counters, walk-in pantry, high-end commercial grade appliances, Sub-Zero refrigerator, 48” Dynasty range with grill, 2 dishwashers, warming drawer, microwave/convection oven, trash compactor, Franke oversized stainless sink, convenient pot filler, party sized ice maker, pull-out refrigerator drawers and a breakfast area with heated floor with room for table seating 8 – 12.
Open Concept Great Room
The kitchen opens to an impressive sun-drenched family room and, beyond, to a comfortable TV room. The modern ‘great room’ concept is truly at play here. French doors to the back patio offer seasonal views.
The library has a wall of custom Mahogany bookshelves display your books and artifacts from travels near and far, as well as a fireplace with hand-carved limestone masonry, wood burning and with gas line option.
Secret Room with Phantom Door
Off the library and accessible through a phathom door in the wood paneling, is a separate, hidden wine tasting room which features a 20’ peaked ceiling with copper dome, windows overlooking front lawn and a back door to a private patio.
The high standards set by the main level continue to the second level, where four bedrooms, three baths and a home gym are located. Set to rival the amenities of a 5-Star hotel, the master suite features a tray ceiling lined with custom wood trim and opens to a private sitting room with fireplace and French doors to a private balcony overlooking the pool. Two California walk-in closets provide exceptional storage.
Luxurious Master Bath
Luxury is an understatement in the master bath, featuring honed White Thassos marble counters, two vanities, walk-in shower with white marble tile walls, circular Jacuzzi tub, polished nickel towel warmer and a private balcony with view of backyard.
Off the master suite, you access the enormous home gym that includes a private sauna and steam room.
Second & Third Floors
The 3 additional family bedrooms on the second floor all have ample closet storage and convenient access to the two remaining baths. The third level is finished to include an office and substantial storage capacity.
Finished Lower Level
The finished lower level offers a recreation room, game room, media room, dry bar, powder room and loads of storage space.
Exquisite living space is carried outside, where a bluestone patio overlooks an expansive backyard bordered by light woods. The Gunite in-ground pool adds to the resort quality of this backyard. There is tremendous space for al fresco dining and pool-side entertaining, while the yard easily welcomes active play.
Exclusive Driveway & 4 Car Garage
For the avid gardener, five and one-half acres provide more than enough space to exercise a green thumb. The driveway extends to the side of the home, where an oversized 4-car heated garage with high ceilings serves as a safe haven for your luxury vehicles and garden items. There is also a private dog run in the side yard, which could alternatively be used as a private vegetable garden.
Interior & Exterior Highlights
• The square footage is 11,103, including the finished basement
• “Smart Home” system for security, sound and HVAC & programmable Lutron lighting system & telephone intercom
• Custom solid Mahogany woodwork throughout
• Travertine limestone floor in foyer & Highest quality hardwood solid Epay floor throughout the home
• Solid Walnut 3” thick custom front door and side door with custom hardware
• Hand-carved marble and limestone details & high-end lighting fixtures throughout
• State-of-the-art Culligan water purification system & softener as well as a fresh air recovery system for the first floor and master bedroom.
• Four gas fireplaces and one wood burning fireplace
• Concealed phantom door and window screens, energy efficient Pella windows with leaded glass inserts, extra deep windowsills and doorways
• Living room custom hand-carved oversized marble masonry, fireplace with Vermont soapstone & high-efficiency wood burning stove with gas line installed
• Dining room with custom Walnut built-in, coffered ceiling
• Library with custom Mahogany woodwork, coffered ceiling, and fireplace with hand-carved limestone masonry, wood burning and with gas line option
• Separate wine tasting or bonus room (with hidden entrance), 20’ peaked ceiling with copper dome and plumed for wet bar
• Designer kitchen features custom maple cabinets, honed Calcutta Gold Soprano marble counters, walk-in pantry, high-end commercial grade appliances, Sub-Zero refrigerator, 48” Dynasty range with grill, 2 dishwashers, warming drawer, microwave/convection oven, trash compactor, Franke oversized stainless sink, convenient pot filler, party sized ice maker, pull-out refrigerator drawers and a breakfast area with heated floor, seating 8 – 12
• Media room with custom walnut built-ins and fireplace
• Luxury master suite with vaulted ceiling and custom wood beams, large double walk-in California closets, a sitting room with limestone natural gas fireplace, wet bar & balcony with view of the backyard & pool
• Private home Gym with separate sauna and steam rooms
• Master bath with honed White Thassos marble counters, two vanities, walk-in shower with white marble tile walls, circular Jacuzzi tub, polished nickel towel warmer and a private balcony with view of backyard
• Bedroom suites feature built-in desks, mahogany paneling, en suite full baths with large showers, jetted tubs & towel warmers
• Conveniences include a mud/laundry room, heated slate floor,, extensive basement and attic storage
• Finished lower level with a rec room, game room, bedroom/ office, powder room, dry bar, solid Epay flooring, walk-out to yard
• Total 5.4 acres of property
• Hand-cut granite & brick masonry exterior
• Slate roof with custom copper gutters & leads, exceptional brick & stone chimneys
• Whole house generator
• Security cameras
• 4-car heated garage with custom doors
• 30,000 gallon saltwater in-ground heated pool
• Large dog run or protected gardening area
• Quiet secluded property, set back 300 feet from Valley Road private entrance
• Stone wall with custom electronic iron gate at street entrance & custom stone mailbox
• Mature trees and shrubbery with approx. 2 acres of wooded property beyond cleared backyard and gentle flowing stream
This one-of-a-kind property invites you to take full advantage of all that Watchung has to offer, while being less than 25 miles from New York City.